Leaving the south of the island via the GC-1 motorway you reach Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
The tour of the city must begin with the Vegueta neighborhood. Surrounding the Plaza Santa Ana, which dates back to the early 16th century, the main historical buildings of the city are located: the Cathedral, the Town Hall, the Regent House of the Audience and the Episcopal Palace. The construction of the Cathedral of Santa
Ana began around 1500 and lasted until the nineteenth century, so that the late Gothic interior and the neoclassical exterior converge.
In the Museum of Sacred Art you can contemplate his valuable artistic legacy and among the works to highlight is the Cristo de Luján Pérez, who presides over the Chapter room.
On the back of the Cathedral and next to the Plaza del Pilar Nuevo is located the House-Museum of Columbus, a magnificent example of stately architecture, where according to the chronicles the admiral spent the night during his stay on the island and where related objects are exhibited. timed with its passage through the islands and with the history of the city and of America.
The Canarian Museum, next to the Plaza del Espiritu Santo – the best neoclassical complex in the city – preserves a very complete collection of pre-Hispanic vestiges, as well as a very valuable library and newspaper library. Other points of interest are: the Atlantic Center of Modern Art and the Church of Santo Domingo. A walk through the narrow streets of Vegueta is recommended to contemplate beautiful civil and religious buildings. Other important points of cultural interest are the Canarian People and Nestor Museum,
Calle Mayor de Triana, Pérez Galdós House-Museum, Literary Gabi-nete and Alameda de Colón, Pérez Galdós Theater, San Telmo Hermitage, as well as the San Francisco Parish ; and already in the area of the port, the Castle of the Light and the Park of Santa Catalina.
We leave Las Palmas in a northerly direction and arrive at the city of Arucas -a 17 Km-, located in the heart of a fertile banana region.
Its historic center is considered a “Historical-Artistic Interest Property”, of a singular beauty contrasted by the white of the lime and the black of the “blue stone” of its quarries. They emphasize the Gourié House, the House of the Inheritance and that of the Marquise de Arucas, but above all the Parish Church of San Juan Bautista (1909-1989) of neo-Gothic style and popularly called “Catedral de Arucas”, an excellent sample of handicraft work in stone stone.
There is also a Rum Museum, inside the Arehucas distillery, founded in 1884 for the production of sugar and rum.
Finally, do not stop climbing to the mountain, 400 m. high, to enjoy a spectacular panoramic view of the north of the island.
Following our route to Moya, the “Villa Verde”, through the laurel jungle that includes the municipalities of Moya, Firgas, Arucas, Teror, Valleseco and Guía, and of which there are only a few redoubts, the most representative within of the Special Natural Reserve of Los Tiles de Moya, reserve included in the Doramas Rural Park. It is recommended to visit the House Museum of Tomás Morales, an illustrious Grancanarian poet, as well as the Church of Our Lady of Candelaria.
Do not forget to taste the typical sighs and biscuits of the place. We leave Moya in the direction of Guía, well known for its craftsmanship – especially for the typical knives of the country – and for the flower cheese.
In addition, its historic center is declared a National Artistic Monument in 1982.
Also note the Valerón Cenobio, an archaeological site declared of Cultural Interest in 1978, a co-teaching silo made up of about three hundred caves carved into the rock, as well as engravings and high relief. At the top of the cliff there is also a tagoror, where the council of the ancient Canaries met with its king.
In the town of Santa María de Guía, a tour of its streets will discover spectacular buildings such as the parish church, with a neoclassical facade of the in-signe imagery Luján Pérez, with abundant samples of his art inside.
After enjoying the artistic visit, you have to taste the flower cheese in any of the establishments of the town; one of the best cheeses in the country, with a unique and soft flavor that is achieved by curdling cow and sheep milk with the flower of blue thistle.
We continue our excursion to Gáldar, the “City of the Guanartemes” (ancient aboriginal kings). In the Town Hall square is one of the most monumental religious buildings on the island, the Church of Santiago de los Caballeros, which dates from 1778.
Although it retains some baroque trail, it is a neoclassical building; the exterior shows the local stonework of coppery hue, or golden stone. His numerous works of art, along with a green pile where numerous canaries were baptized after the conquest